Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Words: Some Favorite Quotes

For those who don't know me...I love quotes. Today I'm keeping it simple and just sharing some of my favorite clusters of words. I've copied and pasted them from Goodreads.com, where you can find me drowning in a sea of "must read" book lists. I'm hoping to actually start posting reviews...when I catch the elusive thing called time.

Quotes to Chew On


“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”
― Robert Frost

“Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."”
― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt, This is My Story

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde, The Happy Prince and Other Stories

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
― Martin Luther King Jr., A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches

“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“Never laugh at live dragons.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect.”
― Margaret Mitchell

“You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.”
― William Faulkner

“In a time of destruction, create something.”

― Maxine Hong Kingston

That is all for today.

Statue

No comments:

Post a Comment