Sunday, April 17, 2016

Bookbinding & SCA



BOOKBINDING


Yesterday I was able to attend a bookbinding workshop. I'm so glad there's a group that does these sort of things...nerdy, old world sort of things! The snapshots above show some of the process. The last image is what four hours of work look like, roughly. Next workshop will be about four more hours of finishing what we started. It was led by a very nice lady who definitely knows her stuff!

I was pretty slow, but I kept getting distracted and pausing to check what I had done. I can be a perfectionist. The last few signatures were actually the hardest because I had made sure the hemp cords were snug, making it more difficult to thread the needle! I'm surprised I didn't bleed or stab myself with the needle. The stage it's at now is called a textblock. The pages were called signatures. They haven't been cut 100% yet.

If I remember correctly, pardon me if I'm wrong, this is how people did it during the Gothic period. For those who don't know history, I don't mean Gothic as in those cool peeps that wear all black, I mean Gothic as in 12th century style. This is the more intense bookbinding technique, so I'm excited to learn other ways to do this. I really can't wait to write or draw in the little book!

This is thanks to the SCA...the Society of Creative Anachronism. If you read that and say, "Society of What?" - I'll explain.

PARTS OF THE BOOK


We used a thick paper, strong linen thread and hemp rope material. That contraption you see is not a torture device, but something that hold the hemp in place with you thread the signatures (pages) into the hemp with the linen thread. Then you can hammered the edges, cut the pages, and glue some added support onto the side. I'll add more detail in the next post after I learn more!

SCA?!


Summed up it's a medieval recreation group. If you like the idea of recreating an medieval dress, it's for you. If you like the idea of making a medieval lute and playing it, check it out. If you want a group of people who'd appreciate your collection of medieval recipes, look up a local SCA group. They have people studying and practicing the many different aspects of old world life. It's not confined to European history either. The time span is generally from the fall of Rome to the death of Queen Elizabeth. Viking things have become increasingly popular and I don't mind it!

There's all kinds of personalities and interests in SCA. I'm never bored or lonely.

I first discovered the SCA in 2006 thanks to a guy who's actually a butthead. He turned out to be a jerk, but I'm glad that he was involved in the SCA. He introduced me to it at an event and BAM...my life as a nerd expanded to historical heights. (It's actually the virtue of gentlemen within the group that tipped me off that my supposed knight was actually a little too popular with the ladies and perhaps not worthy of my attention. Glad they tipped me off!) More often than not, the men of SCA are gentlemen. The ladies are awesome, too!

One thing I love about SCA is that they're aren't sexist and they are continually adding more diversity. The LBGT community has a home there. I believe they tend to wear purple feathers? I think...don't quote me on that. Anyway, women can put on armor...real armor...not that dangerous Hollywood stuff...and fight in the battles alongside men. I've seen people of Asian decent donning amazing Medieval Samurai armor, a woman of dark complexion wearing an awesome Tudor gown, a man of European descent bringing to life the styles of the old Middle East, and children wearing the cutest Viking outfits I've ever seen.

There's a thing for everyone.

The Kingdom I hung with in corny Nebraska were kind and generous, but I had to move again and spent the next several years trying (miserably) to make a life for myself. I re-joined SCA in 2014 and got my own membership. I was in Florida then, so a different Kingdom.

FYI, the SCA is divided by Kingdoms and those Kingdoms are split into groups, like Cantons and Shires. They have Guilds and Houses, as well.

That Canton was also friendly and giving. They did neat PR stuff in downtown festivals where they demonstrated martial arts, such as armored combat and rapier. Local belly dancers entertained the crowed between bouts. Now, I'm in the Kingdom of Ealdormere, getting to know local Cantons. I'm new to this Kingdom so I can't answer many questions about them, but so far they be cool beans.

Each group is different, having their own flavor. It's a good way to meet people and make friends if you're like me...a nerd that enjoys the old stuff. You don't have to spend money or become an official member to enjoy it.


Learn more about SCA here: Society of Creative Anachronism
Look up your Kingdom here: Kingdom Lookup!
Newcomer Link: Welcome to SCA!

SCA GOALS FOR 2016 >>>>>>>

* New Garb for my boyfriend and I (I obviously don't have male garb lying around for SCA, plus I need something new. I want something new. I've lost weight and want an excuse for a new dress.)
* Go to more rapier and combat practice!
* Go to Pennsic! About 10,000 in one place...oh, gods... Pennsic War!
* Pick a thing to research and maybe join a guild for said thing.
* Archery!

There ya have it...later, gators!

No comments:

Post a Comment