Sunday, May 22, 2016

Update: Super Green Canada



Spring is here! Everything is blooming. The trees went from grey to super green in what felt like 24 hours. I love my walks around the neighborhood, watching people grow cute gardens and bees flip out over the flowers. I'm pausing for a moment to update you on my Canada adventure.

Super Green Fifth Element Giphy
(I swear...The Fifth Element was predicting future trends and stuff.)

USA to Canada Process

I hate to sound like a 16 year old girl...but OH MY GOD. This immigration stuff is so frustrating! I've joined online forums, wherein people like me vent about the tedious process of just trying to stay, work, or study in the Great North legally. 

Also...it's expensive. The tones of immigration are similar to the tones of university endeavours in the US. They expect you to have enough income to support yourself, your travels, plus all the fees of immigration.

Just to apply for self-employed status as a non-citizen in Canada is over $1000. Want to apply for sponsorship and permanent residence? Over $500 application fee...you have to also pay for background checks, work permit fees, medical exams, possible driving licence, transportation, and so on. It's disheartening. I understand their needs for different parts of the process, like verifying I'm not a criminal or that I'm not secretly married in multiple countries or that I'm a not a terrorist. Yes, I had to sign a form stating that I'm not a terrorist. It's just confusing at times and even misleading depending on the visa.

But...it's worth it. Canada is awesome and I've barely scratched the surface. Thanks to warmer weather I'm hoping to get out and see new things. CaMPinG!!!!! Yay!

Arrived at Border of Canada as Visitor: 30 December 2016 Visitor Visa approved
Attempted Work Permit for Job Offer: March/April 2016 Rejected by CIC - Job doesn't qualify for LMIA or Exemption
Applied for Extended Visitor Visa: April 2016 - Estimated Time by CIC 19 Days
Approved Extension: May 2016 - Actual Process Time - 7 Days
Study Visa: No Progress
Work Permit: In Progress, attempting Open Work Permit with Permanent Resident Application*** 

*** This just means long term stay instead of Visiting, shows intent to stay in Canada as more than just a tourist, so I can try for an open work permit. Some sources are saying to go for Permanent Res first, then I'll auto-qualify for work permit because the Permanent Res for an American takes about the same time as applying for the work permit. Part of me wants to try for the open work permit first.

I really wish someone I knew had advice for this. Forums online feature people from other countries and with children, so their experience is different. Insert frowny face.

The Hunt for Grad School in Canada

Not only I'm having a hard time choosing a school and program, each one has different requirements. Some want me to have a GRE score, others want me to drop $125 for an application fee. Some want three reference letters from teachers.

One of the most frustrating parts of applying to programs is that I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up. My least favorite part of learning: narrowing your focus. Art therapy, clinical, experimental, counseling... I don't know! I love research. I'm a hardcore critic when it comes to research, I joined psychology to become an art therapist for children, but life isn't a straight line.

(I've brought research data on medications to my doctor appointments before. Some docs were impressed. Some were confused. One doc thought I was a medical student. Hahahaha.)

I just have standards.
Research Standards. Get some.


I'd love to be a part of amazing research, but then again, the idea of being more hands on and being on the ground level of psychology is important too. At first, the idea of being a counselor didn't appeal to me. There is fear of being unqualified or being in over my head. I've had nightmares of being trapped in an office with someone complaining about their hair brush quality for two hours. 

When I paused to examine how I've actively expressed my skills and knowledge in real life. In the past I researched a topic, usually with the intent to turn out the next day and use the information in person. I would research then use that knowledge to create a real plan for a daycare, a special event, or help a friend. 

Then again, according to a 400+ questionnaire on what career I should pursue...I'm the ideal candidate for "Dance Choreographer". What?

Dance.
Yup.

That being said...art therapy schools are few and far between. If I don't get into one, I'll be pursuing a different degree until later.

Toronto Art Therapy Institute: No reply. Needs a DVD of portfolio, two references, $125, possibly an English language test, etc.

University of Toronto: Clinical/Counseling Psychology Program. I've already missed the Deadline for 2016. They wanted applications before December of last year.

Concordia University: Is in Quebec, so I'd have to move plus still high qualifying margin. 

University of Ottawa: Two programs, Deadline passed...Dec 15th 2016.

I'm still looking into programs, in case the art therapy thing doesn't work out.

What I Miss about the USA

I miss my friends and family, of course! I miss them so much...they have no idea. I hate not being able to just hang with them whenever I want or celebrate birthdays with them.

I miss knowing where I am and what's around. This happens every time I move, so this feeling will leave one day.

I miss being able to be loud and obnoxious sometimes. In the States, we have socially acceptable behavior that is viewed as weird or rude in other countries. Eventually this side of me will come out, sorry, Canada. I can only hold it in so long.

I miss knowing brands. There's a lot of the same brands in Canada, but only the really big brands. Some of my favorite brands aren't here. 

I miss not having allergies. What the bumble bee?! I've had horrible allergy issues since I got here...time will tell if my body adabts. 

Stay Tuned

I'm not giving up and I have big plans. I'll let you know more about Canada stuff later!


No comments:

Post a Comment